----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Burrwell, Tanya" <tburrwell@APA.ORG>
As in years past, the APA Convention will offer the Resource Room for Persons with Disabilities. This bustling area housed within the main convention center is wholly dedicated to providing services to our convention attendees with disabilities, health conditions, or those with injuries. It is utilized by those who desire a place to rest or relax; need assistance in going to convention sessions and other events; borrow wheelchairs and canes; and secure the services of readers, interpreters, and volunteers.
The following information provides additional details regarding these services. Please share this information with your respective groups and / or individuals who may benefit from these services. If you need any additional information, please contact Anju Khubchandani at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Resource Room For Persons with Disabilities: This year's Resource Room will be located in the Colorado Convention Center, Exhibit Halls A, B, C. It provides a number of services onsite such as volunteers, a quiet place to rest, wheelchairs to borrow on a temporary basis, and a lap top with JAWS vocalization software. Please see attached flyer for additional information, including hours of operation.
- Accessible Transportation: On-Call, ADA Mini-Coaches will be available for persons with disabilities during the core hours of the Convention to facilitate travel between the Convention Center, contracted APA hotels, and other nearby hotels. Additionally shuttle bus service between the Convention Center, Hyatt Regency Convention Center Hotel, and the Sheraton Denver Hotel will be provided on full-size 53-passenger Motor Coaches. These will have an electronic lift or ramp for an occupied wheelchair or scooter. A flyer with additional information will be forwarded at a later time as details become available.
- Scooter Rental: APA does not make arrangements or pay for scooter or wheelchair rental. Should a wheelchair or scooter need to be rented during Convention, you may want to contact SCOOTAROUND, a nationwide rental company that our members have used in the past. Website: www.scootaround.com or telephone: (888) 441-7575 (operators are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week). They can arrange to have the equipment delivered to your hotel and picked up upon departure. A credit card is required to make the arrangements. Alternatively, you may come to the Resource Room to use a loaner wheelchair at no charge.
- Sign language Interpreters: APA will provide sign language interpreters for individuals who request the service in advance and submit their detailed session/event schedule to the APA Convention Office by July 7. As stated in the registration guidelines, APA cannot guarantee the availability of interpreters for requests that are not received by this date. There will also be sign language interpreters to interpret to the audience at the following APA-wide events: the Opening Session, the APA Presidential Address, and the APA / APF Awards Ceremony.
If you require sign language interpreting services or any other hearing-assistive service to facilitate your participation at the Convention we will make an attempt to assist you with the arrangements if your schedule is shared with the APA Convention Office by July 7.
- Accessibility report: This report is a site observation report based on a scooter roll-through of the Convention Center and the two APA headquarter hotels. A summary of the accessibility of the Colorado Convention Center, the Hyatt Regency Convention Center Hotel, and the Sheraton Denver Hotel is attached.
Anju M. Khubchandani, MA
Director | Office on Disability Issues
American Psychological Association | 750 First Street NE | WDC 20002
202-336-6038 | Email: email@example.com