NORC at the University of Chicago seeks a qualified Senior Research Scientist for the Substance Abuse, Mental Health, and Criminal Justice Research Department to direct research projects and manage the activities of research assistants, analysts and other staff. This position will be located in our Bethesda, MD office.
· Developing research projects in collaboration with colleagues in the field of tobacco epidemiology and tobacco control regulatory research, contributing to strategic design, establishment, and leadership of a tobacco research program
· Independently drafting and managing contract proposals and grant applications, communicating effectively with clients, consultants, and members of the research community, and gathering/assessing intelligence on upcoming research opportunities
· Managing the activities of research assistants, analysts and other staff
· Conducting quantitative and qualitative analyses
· Developing structured interview protocols
· Contributing to questionnaire content and design
· Leading stakeholder interviews
· The position also requires monitoring and oversight of financial and administrative aspects of ongoing projects.
· Doctoral degree in social or behavioral sciences (epidemiology, demography, clinical or health psychology, communications, health economics or related field)
· Demonstrated track record of successfully achieving funding for tobacco-related research, with additional experience and interest in minority health and disparities a plus
· Candidates should have experience with the design and execution of social science research and in publishing research results, with a strong career-appropriate record of peer-reviewed technical publications. Tobacco control and tobacco policy research and publications are preferred.
· In addition to a substantive background in a relevant discipline, the ideal candidate will have substantial experience and knowledge of the basic principles of research design and data analyses as well as experience with estimating project and proposal costs
· The candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills and aptitude in leading and working with project teams as well as coordinating on work conducted across the entire Department.
Interested scientists may apply at:
For more information, contact Maria Sky Topf at Sky-Maria@norc.org
Thank you for sharing this announcement with your networks.
Elizabeth A. Mumford, PhD | Senior Research Scientist
Substance Abuse, Mental Health, & Criminal Justice
NORC at the University of Chicago
4350 East-West Highway, 8th Floor, Bethesda MD 20814
firstname.lastname@example.org | office (301) 634-9435 | mobile (301) 928-6094 | fax (301) 634-9301